International Baccalaureate MYP Program
Green Bay’s only Catholic Middle School, and ONE of only SEVEN in Wisconsin, approved as an IB World School for Middle Years.
In the spring of 2017, Holy Family Catholic School was welcomed into the International Baccalaureate Program and authorized as an International Baccalaureate MYP (Middle Years Program) school.
The aim of the IB program is to develop internationally-minded people who, recognizing their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, help to create a better and more peaceful world. We encourage students to do this by developing the 10 IB learner attributes painted in the middle school hallway.
What does this mean for students and teachers?
MYP students have inquiring minds and become active learners, taking more responsibility for their learning, which leads to becoming lifelong learners. The program prepares our HFS students to become global citizens who are internationally-minded and better able to function in today’s world. The program also develops more social responsibility in the students.
All of the middle school students (Grades 6-8) participate in the IB Middle Years Program (MYP). Every student, regardless of academic ability, benefits from the IB program. The program accommodates national and local curriculum and encourages students to become creative, critical and reflective thinkers through the use of inquiry-based learning approaches and standards-based assessment.
The students are actively engaged in the planning and assessing of their own learning through reflection and classroom dialogue. They grow in their skills and understanding of the world and its people and develop a sense of their place within a global community. The students also become more aware of their impact on the community. During the culmination of our three-year program in 8th Grade, students explore a topic of interest to them, and with the help of an advisor on staff, develop a Community Project, which demonstrates students’ acquired skills throughout the program while integrating a service- based component. We hope you can share in their success by coming to join us for the Celebration of Community Projects on May 3rd, 2018.
Why Holy Family Catholic School?
There are many reasons Holy Family was chosen for this program.
- A high percentage of HFS graduates attend NDA and participate in the IB program at the high school level. By having IB at HFS, this will allow for a seamless transition into the IB program at NDA.
- HFS will function as a pilot school for other GRACE schools with the potential to expand and add the elementary IB program in order that students have a continuous curriculum and develop the skills and thought processes earlier in their educational journey.
- An IB education is relevant for all students regardless of background or ability.
- Students will begin forming a global perspective and develop 21st century learning skills while still in their formative years.
- The program will create globally-aware students who are ready to embark on a journey to better the future for themselves and the community.
- As the field of education becomes more competitive between public and private schools, we must maintain a higher standard in order to remain current and viable.
Colleges are now beginning to recognize the abilities of IB- educated students, giving early acceptances and even scholarships, which may include full tuition. High school IB coordinators and members of the Wisconsin Association of IB World Schools (WAIBWS) are working to increase recognition of IB students in the college community.
For more information about the IB Middle Years Program, come see us in action! School tours can be scheduled throughout the year. Or please contact Steve Gromala, Principal at (920) 494-1931.